Augusta - a sense of PLACE

We are coming up to one of my favourite sporting events of the year, the Masters Golf at Augusta.

What makes this a very special event is the venue itself... and the way that it comes across on the TV for someone who has never visited... it's the sense of PLACE that is embodied by the sounds of the birds, the scent of the flowering plants, the manicured fairways and greens, and the forest that encloses the holes. There are the lakes, and the bridges and the streams, and the galleries sitting in their shorts and socks on camp stools which have been placed there as early as possible to guarantee a good vantage point to see the world's finest golfers.
When I was younger, I was privileged to be at the Open when Seve Ballasteros won at Lytham St. Annes and see players like Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Gary Player and Tom Watson up close. I've played quite a bit of golf over the years - never very well, but always enjoyed it.

I'd love to go to Augusta one year to see the Masters but I probably never will...

Instead, I'll be staying up late and watching the ever changing situation, particularly on Sunday, and soaking up the atmosphere....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonathan Meades on Sustainability

On the trail of the 'Detectorists'