Now booking for 2013

I am looking ahead to 2013 and thinking of planning some sort of trans-Atlantic 'tour'. 
I'd like to bring some of the projects that I've been working on to colleagues in the USA and Canada, and have the chance to broaden my personal geographical horizons.

This blog gets many readers from the USA and Canada (as does Living Geography) and I'd like to develop my own practice, as well as sharing what I've been up to for the last three or four years.

There would be a chance for me to work with students, colleagues, college undergraduates or anyone else who wants to involve me. I can work with groups of teachers, individual schools or other educational organisations.

I could talk about a range of areas of geography education that are of international relevance:
- curriculum planning and change
- developing a sense of place
- expanding young people's world view
- developing a sense of the local - with reference to the pack of materials for National Geographic's Geography Awareness Materials for 2011, which I co-wrote and the Guerrilla Geography approach of Mission:Explore
- connecting teachers and connecting classrooms using technology

There's quite a lot to be decided yet about how all this might work, but it would be good to get a sense for the level of interest in the potential for this...

I also need to have a think of how this might be funded. Are there grants available locally for visiting speakers, teacher development in your area ? Do you have a budget for teacher development ?

Get in touch if you have any thoughts about this or would like to talk about things further....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonathan Meades on Sustainability

On the trail of the 'Detectorists'