Jonsi turns to nature

A cross posting from my GCSE Natural History blog.

It's almost exactly 14 years since I went to Latitude festival with the Mission:Explore team. This followed an earlier visit to Glastonbury in the same year.

We were working in the children's area running our missions, entertaining young people amongst the festival goers with our subversive take on the festival and its surroundings. Once we'd finished our shift, we were free to enjoy the music. On the 2nd evening, I headed over to the tent where Jonsi from Sigur Ros was going to be performing that evening. I caught a set from American band Yeasayer who were excellent. I then noticed someone wandering in a familiar tasselled jacket and realised it was Jonsi, and had a brief conversation with him. It was just after the launch of his 'Go' album, which remains one of my favourites.

Later that evening he gave the most amazing performance in this tent, and I was up front as the music unfolded. 

For a taster, catch the track on this film here...

Jonsi's new album was announced recently...


It features a lot of natural sounds such as birdsong...

“Writing this music at a time of manmade global turmoil and unrest for a video game. I imagined First Light as a momentary fantastical, over-the-top, utopian world where everyone and everything lives together in everlasting peace and harmony. Choosing beauty over disorder, hope over fear, our universal divine angel guardians watching over us and connecting us all as one through love, melody, and music.”

Here's one track from the album, which is out at the end of August, and which I'm very much looking forward to:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonathan Meades on Sustainability

On the trail of the 'Detectorists'